Monday, February 16, 2009

Gardening and Farmering



We have been posing as gardeners since the beginning of January when I realized I needed to start planning to have a successful one this year. (read: last year we yielded 1 tomato and 4 peppers) I really should know better... I grew up as a country girl but unfortunately I never really paid attention or asked questions. Such a pity...

Here is Corbin praying over our onions... he hates onions so he was praying they were "tasty" and I'm sure he was also praying fervently in his little heart that I wouldn't make him eat any. :)
I have taken an interest in growing chickens as well. I looked up online and it's OK to have chickens inside city limits as long as you follow a few easy guidelines. I thought I may get a few to start and use this. Not sure how this is all going to turn out since we have neighbors and all. Luckily, I have friends who have offered to take the chickens off our hands if it doesn't work out. :)

My sweetheart of a husband bought me a share in a local CSA for Valentine's Day! Soooo excited about this... I am dreaming of all kinds of things berry for this Summer. And we are going to learn TONS about gardening and farming.

OK, I am done geeking out for now.

2 comments:

Tylers.Net said...

That is SOOO fun and awesome! I have close friends who just purchased 8 chicks about 3 weeks ago to raise...they live inside the city too in a normal neighborhood. The chicks are starting to loose their down - they grow so fast! Such a great idea to get good eggs! We grew jalepeno's one year - fun!...but nothing more than that. Look forward to hearing how it goes for you!

Shelly said...

We will for sure have you guys over to see them if we end up doing the whole "chicken" thing. :)